29 April 2009

Lazy boy in the sky

Although there are many things that are arguably worse. On the rare occasion that the following happens to you. I feel confident that you will agree. There is no greater disappointment while flying.

Over half way through the flight. The moment has finally come to press the shiny silver button and activate the long awaited RECLINE feature on my seat back. But wait, nothing happens. System failure! In an effort to further understand what is causing my strife I try again. Still, nothing. I look at the seat next to mine to gain perspective on the dilemma in 17B. Why is my neighbors seat broken? Seemingly more forward than a seat back should be. So I pull on the top of my seat to try and break it too. I now come to discover the worst. I WAS RECLINED! It is going to be a long decent to landing.

In all honesty things can be going great. Check in can be like a warm breeze on your cheek. TSA security checkpoint can feel like your own private security team. Boarding can be flawless - the only delay caused by another gentleman ushering me to proceed while I say, "no, you first".

Beware! Now that this great fortune has been bestowed upon me numerous times. I feel confident saying; mark my words. There is no greater disappointment while flying. There is something worse then poor service. Even worse then a delay or stained shirt. During all of these inconveniences you have a choice about how to proceed. But a pre-reclined seat conquers the human spirit and torments the sub-conscience in ways only imagined. As tempting as it is to land with my seat reclined, I pass. The vicious cycle comes to an end with me.